SEEKING INDIVIDUALS WITH EXPERIENCE IN ARTS MANAGEMENT
to apply for the position of Gallery Director of the Wickford Art Association
- OVERVIEW: The applicant will contract with the Wickford Art Association (WAA). The Gallery Director (GD) will manage the administrative and operational functions of WAA.
- ORGANIZATION INFORMATION: Founded in 1962, the Wickford Art Association produces gallery exhibitions, offers classes, lectures and demonstrations that are open to the public, hosts the prestigious Wickford Art Festival, collaborates with local schools and provides fine arts scholarships for high school seniors.
- JOB DESCRIPTION: The successful candidate will serve as the face of Wickford Art Association, the primary contact for information and communications. The GD shall be responsible for implementing strategies to achieve the Association’s goals and objectives, and shall manage, with the help of support staff, volunteers and interns, all programs, activities and events of the Association. The GD will serve as the primary support for the Board of Directors, guide the Board in developing a realistic annual budget, develop corporate and community partnerships, identify and develop fundraising vehicles for the organization, maintain and expand membership, organize and promote art exhibits and installations on- and off-site, manage WAA staff and interns, recruit and support volunteers, and support the Wickford Art Festival coordinator in ensuring a successful annual event. A fully detailed Scope of Work will be provided in advance to applicants invited to meet with the Interview Committee.
- REPORT TO: The Gallery Director will report to the Board of Directors.
- WORK CONDITIONS: Start date January 2, 2020. As the gallery is used for both office and exhibit space, the Gallery Director is expected to perform administrative tasks at the gallery. He or she may be required to travel to meet with clients, sponsors and artists, or to oversee off-site art exhibits. Working hours include, but are not limited to, the gallery hours. The Gallery Director is expected to attend evening meetings of the Board of Directors, WAA exhibition openings, and special events.
- JOB QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate will possess skills in the areas of financial management and budgeting, administrative management, effective marketing strategies, member relations and public relations. He or she must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be familiar with the Rhode Island arts community. He or she must have practical knowledge in computer applications related to media, database development, research, and office operations (primarily Word and Excel). A college degree is preferred, and a strong arts background with management experience is desirable.
- REMUNERATION: Commensurate with experience.
- APPLICANT INFORMATION: Applicants must submit the following information on a USB drive: (1) Resume (2) Samples (pdfs/jpgs acceptable) and/or a narrative to provide evidence of previous arts management experience.
- SUBMISSIONS: Submissions must be sealed and clearly marked with the following: “Wickford Art Association Gallery Director Search.” Submissions must be received no later than 3 p.m. on November 30 and should be addressed to:
Gallery Director Search Committee
Wickford Art Association
36 Beach Street
North Kingstown, RI 02852
10. SELECTION: Applicants who have demonstrated the capacity to meet our requirements will be notified via phone/email to schedule an interview.