The Wickford Art Association Board of Directors is seeking a Gallery Director to oversee the operations of the gallery.
The Wickford Art Association has been a federally recognized 501(C)(3) nonprofit arts association since 1962. The mission of the Association is to educate, encourage and inspire its membership, the local art community and the general public and to promote fine arts in the community. It also produces the Wickford Art Festival annually.
The Gallery Director serves as liaison between the Board of Directors and the Association. The Gallery Director shall serve at the pleasure of the Board of Directors (Board) of the Wickford Art Association (Association), shall be accountable to the Board, and shall report directly to the WAA President.
The Gallery Director shall be responsible for implementing strategies to achieve the Association’s goals and objectives, and shall manage, with the help of support staff, volunteers and interns, all programs, activities and events of the Association.
The successful applicant will serve as the WAA’s first point of contact for information and communication; as such the Gallery Director position requires strong communication and management skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills in working with membership, volunteers, and the North Kingstown community. The Gallery Director will be responsible for developing and building relationships with artists, donors, the business community and public officials.
The Gallery Director shall be subject to annual performance reviews conducted by the Personnel Committee. Compensation of the Gallery Director shall be recommended by the Personnel Committee and approved by the Board.
The right candidate should have a college degree and be a dynamic steward of our organization with a strong arts background, experience in financial management and grant management.
Familiarity with Google workspace, Constant Contact and the Rhode Island arts community is a plus.
As the gallery is used for both office and exhibit space, the Gallery Director is expected to perform administrative tasks at the gallery. He or she may be required to travel locally to meet with clients, sponsors and artists, or to oversee off-site art exhibits. Working hours include, but are not limited to, the gallery hours.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Creation and maintenance of the yearly calendar of events at the gallery
- Find jurors for the exhibitions.
- Prepare the gallery for exhibitions.
- Work with the Education Coordinator, Festival Director and Gallery
- Assist the following committees: Festival, Scholarship, Sponsorship, Poetry and Art, Exhibits, Nomination, Membership, Building and Fundraising/Special Events.
- Management of staff and oversight of college interns when assigned.
- Supervise and train staff and volunteers as needed.
- Oversee accounts payables, receivables, and manage daily operations.
- Work with board membership in developing an annual budget and perform monthly reconciliation.
- Preparation of a monthly Directors Report and participation in scheduled WAA board meetings.
- Daily operations including purchasing, phone and email correspondence, co-ordination of website maintenance and electronic promotional publishing.
- Identify and research issues as requested by the Board.
- Develop fund raising initiatives, solicit in-kind donations, individual donations and encourage financial support for the WAA scholarship fund.
- Identify available grant opportunities, write grant requests, grant submissions and to manage grant funds and timelines when awarded.
- Personally cultivate and solicit general sponsorships and donations.
- Lead fundraising efforts, and support the Board’s involvement in
- Develop and maintain a social media plan with the Social Media Committee.
- Update the various social media platforms with events from the organization.
Community and Membership
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the RI Foundation, North Kingstown Council of the Arts, The Champlin Foundation, the North Kingstown Chamber of Commerce and other nonprofit organizations.
- Manage current membership and renewals within the association with a goal for membership growth.
- Keep the membership informed of Association activities on a regular basis.
For consideration, please submit resume and references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submissions is November 30, 2021.